Harrys started in 2013 with a specific goal: disrupt the shaving industry by creating an innovative, everyday product at a fair price. Since then, Harrys has expanded to Canada & Europe, developed relationships with retailers such as Target & Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, launched two new brands including Flamingo & Cat Person, & made our first brand acquisition with Lum.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, & logistics specialists, the Harrys team is composed of some of the most brilliant, diverse, & humble people youll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion & innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, & backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 5 or 500, our core values & our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement & learning, teamwork & collaboration, creative problem solving, & open & direct dialogue & feedback.
Harrys is operating as a hybrid-first environment - for us, that means that we ask folks to come into our beautiful, 88,000 square foot SoHo office a minimum of 2 days per week, with flexibility to choose exactly which days work best for you. What will you get out of that? Bagels on Wednesdays & lunch on Thursdays, & fully stocked kitchens with snacks, coffee, & drinks everyday. Cant forget the free products & the opportunity to have some meetings without Zoom (remember what 2019 was like?)
The Senior Manager of Engineering will own the technology & backend services that power our e-commerce platform. Our e-commerce platform is the foundation behind many of our websites spanning multiple brands across multiple geos. This role will manage a team of 9 (including an Engineering Manager) split across the US & the UK. They will also play the role of a platform evangelist, often meeting with business leaders across the company & educating them on the features & functionalities of the platform while also gathering input to grow the platform for the future. The role provides frequent opportunities to impact the Harrys business as a whole while also contributing to a larger engineering organization building a modern technology stack.
What you will accomplish:
- Provide mentoring & coaching to a talented engineering team. Manage & grow the careers of your reports via performance assessments, promotion cycles, & learning & development.
- As the owner of the e-commerce platform, partner with product, senior engineers & software architects to build a forward looking technology & product strategy for the platform.
- Drive improvements to the technology stack. Obtain a thorough understanding of the codebase & system architecture, review PRs, & contribute code opportunistically.
- Partner with business stakeholders & product managers to understand sprint goals, business objectives & influence & execute against them.
- Meet with business leaders & understand business goals. Work with the team to build & execute against a tech strategy to help achieve those goals.
- Work with engineering leadership & talent acquisition teams to hire & foster a diverse group of great engineers into the organization
This should describe you:
- You are an empathetic leader able to attract & retain a diverse pool of talent.
- You create a culture of inclusion not just within your own team, but cross-functionally as well, going out of their way to meet new hires & hold inclusive meetings & events
- You engage in direct conversations about priorities, deliverables, & performance. You are not afraid to hold yourself & others accountable.
- You have experimented with new programs, projects, or ideas & are curious/open when debating a new way of approaching work
- You actively share knowledge & expertise with others, across the organization. You do so in a way that is empathetic & comes from a place of caring rather than arrogance.
- You are a technologist, excited & enthusiastic about engineering culture, best practices, & new technologies.
- You have experience with Scala, Typescript or similar languages
- You have experience working at a mid-large size engineering organization using service oriented architecture & have managed projects that require cross-team coordination. You are able to deploy strong pattern recognition when embarking on large projects to avoid common pitfalls.
- You have experience with e-commerce (and preferably subscription) businesses.
About the team
Harrys Engineering Team builds & maintains a suite of solutions that power eCommerce sites for multiple brands on multiple continents. We are a small, autonomous team with grand ambitions. We make decisions empirically & we choose the right solutions for the job.
Here's who you'll work with
- Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer of Harrys
- Leading a team of 8 backend developers & 1 manager across the US & the UK
- Working with Engineering Leadership, Product Management, & business stakeholders.
Benefits & perks
- Medical, dental, & vision coverage
- 401k match
- Equity in Harrys
- Unlimited PTO & flexible working hours
- Wellness & L&D stipends
- One month sabbatical after 5 years
- 16 weeks parental leave
- Fun IRL & virtual events including happy hours, team building events, & parties on our rooftop
- Free products from all of our brands
Harrys is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds & perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, & do great work together.
Harrys is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment & advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire & promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth & related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture & protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state & local laws. Harrys commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline & access to benefits & training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC & are dedicated to going above & beyond in fostering diversity across our company.
We cant quantify all of the intangible things we think youll love about working at Harrys, like the exciting challenges we tackle, the smart & humble team youll get to work with, & our supportive & inclusive culture. That said, our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size & industry, & are one part of our total rewards package, which also includes a comprehensive set of benefits & our equity program. The base salary hiring range for this position is $202,000-$277,750, but the final compensation offer will ultimately be based on the candidates location, skill level & experience.