Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating experiences that our customers will love.
As a Data Engineer, you will join a growing Data Engineering team within our Engineering Services organization that collaborates with decision-makers across the organization to catalyze business growth by providing insightful & actionable analysis, insights & data products. The Data Engineering team is hands-on with a wide variety of datasets, including user data, product behavior data, financial/payment data, upper-funnel marketing data, trust & safety data, & operational/infrastructure data, & is responsible for leveraging that data into usable analytical products by stakeholders across the company.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Develop & implement metrics & dimensions for powering analytical use cases across the company, incorporating a wide variety of data sources across the company at varying levels of complexity & scale
- Focus on data quality of the data environment & data products being delivered to the business, & effectively communicate to internal user base regarding production status
- Interface closely with data infrastructure, engineering & technical operations teams to ensure correctness & soundness of metrics built in the data environment & availability of data product services
- Pioneer initiatives around data quality, integrity, security & governance
- Work closely with data stakeholders across the company, both technical & non-technical, to understand evolving needs as more complex data models are introduced for reporting & data science
What We'll Expect from You:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, or other quantitative field; or equivalent experience.
- Experience in custom ETL design, implementation & maintenance
- Track record of developing in complex data environments & intelligence platforms for business users
- Demonstrable ability to relate high-level business requirements to technical ETL & data infrastructure needs, including underlying data models & scripts
- History of proactively identifying forward-looking data engineering strategies, utilizing appropriate technologies, & implementing at scale
- Extensive hands-on experience with schema design & dimensional data modeling
- Experience interacting with key stakeholders in different fields, interpreting challenges & opportunities into actionable engineering strategies
- Experience with analytics databases like Snowflake, Redshift, or BigQuery.
- Advanced SQL & relational database knowledge (MySQL, PostgreSQL) in addition to warehousing & dimension modeling
- Experience scripting in Go or Python or a similar scripting language.
- Effective communication & interpersonal skills
- Experience implementing dimensional modeling in a configuration tool like dbt or LookML a plus
- Experience designing & building dashboards in BI tools like Looker, Tableau, or PowerBI a plus.
- Experience with job schedulers (Airflow, Luigi, Azkaban, etc.) a plus
- Experience with ephemeral/streaming metrics services (Prometheus, DataDog, etc) & with SLO/SLI driven analytics a big plus.
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge & Palo Alto, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!