JUUL's mission is to improve the lives of the worlds one billion adult smokers by driving innovation to eliminate cigarettes. JUUL is the number one US-based vapor product. Headquartered in San Francisco & backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global, Fidelity Investments & Tao Invest, JUUL Labs is disrupting one of the worlds largest & oldest industries.
Were an exceptional team with backgrounds in technology, healthcare, CPG & biotech, & were growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. Were actively looking to hire the worlds best scientists, engineers, designers, product managers, supply chain experts, customer service & business professionals.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director, Medical Science Liaisons leads & manages a specified therapeutic area field based MSL team, ensuring in conjunction with the Senior Director, Medical Affairs, that field activities are carried out in an ethical, compliant, timely & effective manner, & that medical & scientific expertise & initiatives are provided & are aligned with the operational plan & medical department objectives.
The MSL Director provides strategic & tactical leadership advice & expertise within the field medical team, ensures expertise within the scientific, clinical & therapeutic area to support on a non-promotional basis, medical & scientific initiatives for marketed & pipeline products, as indicated.
He/she provides strategic leadership & guidance to the MSL team in the identification of local opportunities, using his/her, knowledge of Key Opinion Leaders (KOL); the therapeutic area & health characteristics of the population. Consequently, the MSL Manager has responsibility for the leadership & development of the Medical Science Liaison (MSL) Team & the implementation of the scientific activities & the clinical plan.
Overall Role Competencies
- Help shape a paradigm that explores potential for alternatives to cigarette smoking including mitigation & cessation through scientific exchange with KOLs
- Demonstrate fundamental therapeutic area & product knowledge to effectively contribute & support JUULs Medical Affairs strategies & objectives.
- Engage in scientific exchange about JUULs products & ensure appropriate dissemination of clinical & scientific information.
- Maintain clinical & technical expertise in specific therapeutic area
- Maintain cross-functional collaboration with internal teams: Business Planning, Patient Advocacy, Clinical, Regulatory, Legal, etc.
- Contribute to the development & implementation of medical education strategies & initiatives, publication planning, development of medical education material, internal training, etc.
- Perform & complete administrative responsibilities & internal projects timely, activity reports, KOL contact documentation, expense reports, etc.
- Achieve all metrics as assigned
- Fully comply with all laws, regulations & JUUL Labs Policies, Code of Conduct, all privacy & data guidelines, relevant state & federal laws & regulations.
- Perform special projects & assignments as directed
- Lead & manage the day to day functions of the MSL team in a specific therapeutic area focus, fostering a culture of high performance, development, continuous improvement & the highest standards of behavior & ethics & manage against these expectations
- Lead/assist the team in identifying & developing professional relationships with international & national/regional medical & scientific KOLs consistent with E&C guidelines, medical strategy & KOL management plans
- Lead/assist the team in maintaining a needs-based medical profiling database of HCPs & KOLs, including identifying current & potential sources of clinical & scientific expertise (known experts, rising stars etc.) & principal investigators, speakers
- Lead the team in the execution of the medical strategy & ensure team performance is aligned with the medical strategy & the operational plan
- Manage team performance at individual & team level facilitating the development of appropriate KPIs & the achievement of individual MSL objectives & activities
- Ensure face to face coaching of members to drive high scientific level of performance & deliver focused programs
- Fosters development of capabilities & competencies of his/her MSL team for effective engagement with the customers
- Assist in coordination of training & development of MSLs
Ensure the team provides high level product knowledge, scientific exchange & communications
- Assist the team in engaging in scientific exchange & education about current & emerging therapies in a compliant fashion with KOLs
- Lead/assist the team in providing appropriate scientific, clinical, & educational support for internal & external customers including for managed care/key accounts (as requested), & organizations (as indicated)
- Support the team in the dissemination of scientific & therapeutic knowledge as appropriate to HCPs in response to requests, in accordance with applicable laws
- Proactively provide fair, balanced & transparent medical & scientific exchange in disease area management
- Assist in the identification of the information needs of KOLs & Health Care Professionals (HCPs) & the identification & opportunity to fulfill these needs
- Lead/assist the team to develop strategic interactions & patient-aimed communication materials in close coordination with cross-functional brand team
- Guide the team in the distribution & presentation of non-promotional materials
- Lead/assist the team to proactively identify & assist as needed in facilitation of externally sponsored clinical trials
- Support medical publications as needed (abstracts, manuscripts, etc.)
- Develop & maintain scientific, clinical & therapeutic expertise in the therapeutic area by performing literature searches, participation in medical congresses & conferences of relevance to specific therapeutic area interests
- Lead/assist the team in engaging in scientific exchange & education about current & emerging therapies in a compliant fashion with KOLs
Provide expert opinion and, when appropriate, training for the MSL team, internal & external stakeholders
- Provide expert opinion and, when appropriate, training for internal & external stakeholders
- Identify training needs of the MSL team and, in conjunction with the Sr. Director, Medical Affairs, develop & execute an appropriate training program (including professional skills, medical profiling, regulatory, compliance & ethic SOP training)
- Lead/assist the team in supporting commercial operations by participating in Speaker & Representative Training in relation to the therapeutic area (as indicated)
- Prepare team for supporting value & access with appropriate activities (i.e., clinical presentations to payer groups; budget impact model presentations, etc.)
- Lead/participate on special project teams as necessary.
- Must hold a valid drivers license
- Work related travel expected to be up to 70%. Travel will include overnights & may involve weekends.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
EDUCATION: Doctorate in science (Ph.D.), Medicine (MD/DO), Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) Nurse Practitioner (NP), Physician Assistant (PA)
- 8+ years clinical experience post degree preferably in the relevant specialty for which you are applying. For this role, experience in psychiatry/addiction necessary.
- 8+ years relevant related MSL experience
- 3-5 years of proven experience in successfully leading, coaching & managing a team of MSLs/Scientific professionals is preferred; experience managing a team required
- Must be self-motivated in working independently.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Public speaking experience preferred.
- Effective & strong interpersonal skills combined with the ability to continually demonstrate poise, tact, diplomacy, & the ability to change the thinking of or gain acceptance from others in sensitive situations, without damage to the relationship.
- Must be able to multi-task, organize, prioritize, & work effectively in a constantly changing environment and/or tight deadlines.
- Adept at developing relationships & building networks with KOLs, HCPs, & managed care KDMs.
- Works effectively in a team by maintaining a proactive & collaborative approach in managing situations involving both internal & external customers.
- Exercises strong personal integrity to make sound & independent judgments
- possess the ability to anticipate problems & come up with appropriate solutions in an organizational & analytical manner.
- Working knowledge of Medical Affairs & knowledge of industry practice & regulations.
- Demonstrates proficiency in MS Office technologies.
- Individual must be able to handle multiple projects with tight deadlines.
- Individual must be able to handle frequent overnight travel (domestic travel required at least approximately 70% of the time)
- Candidates holding current Licensure must be in good standing & not currently or previously been debarred or excluded from a federal or state health program
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. Well help you set big goals - & exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed & supportive teammates
- Equity & performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Cell phone & internet subsidy, transportation benefits & discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental & vision benefits