BuzzFeed (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture & commerce, our brands drive conversation & inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, & obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news & entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, & creative; & inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders & creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks & HuffPost to come.
The Content Systems team builds the tools & services that bring BuzzFeed's content to life. Our engineering team is looking for a frontend developer to help us develop applications that creators use to make everything from lists to quizzes to long news features. This role is perfect for someone with a passion for digital media & who wants to work on projects with a global impact.
You'll report to an Engineering Manager in New York, surrounded by passionate people who are generous with their time & want to help you grow at BuzzFeed. You'll work with engineering, product, design, & data science colleagues globally across time zones.
The Content Systems team manages our proprietary CMS, a set of tools that excels at helping creators make content that sets BuzzFeed apart. Our platform encourages creators to experiment & learn, & it's important to us that our tools be reliable, easy to use, & bring joy to the creation process.
We know that good engineers come from a variety of backgrounds & programming languages, so if you don't already know the languages & frameworks we use, we know you'll learn.
- Our frontend consists of several JS frameworks, such as React, Preact, & Backbone
- Most of our backend services are written in Python, Go, or Node, depending on the context of the service.
- Monitoring & instrumentation is essential for our content systems. We use a combination of Datadog, Sentry, & proprietary services
- We believe in ownership over the entire engineering cycle - the same engineers architect, build, test, deploy, monitor, & run their services using containers on AWS/GCP
- Develop features in our CMS & web platform to help us create, curate, & distribute BuzzFeed's posts to readers around the world
- Work with other software engineers, designers, product managers, & others to understand & shape work before it becomes code & after it ships to production
- Reach across the entire tech stack at BuzzFeed & get an understanding of large-scale media companies' architecture & operations
- 5 or more years of experience in software engineering
- Understanding of the web is for everyone & build inclusive, accessible systems
- Are a passionate & product-focused engineer who enjoys contributing to & leading technical projects & working with engineers at all levels
- Value testing, instrumenting & documenting your work
- Adapt quickly to change & love to ship & iterate, building on new user research, insights & data
Life at BuzzFeed
We celebrate inclusion & are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
We want all employees to feel safe & comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health & safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) & open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, & WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, & VT.