As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
The Editorial Director, Audience is a senior position based in New York Magazines editorial department & responsible for designing, charting & evolving its strategy to create lasting, meaningful relationships with our audience as New York Magazine builds its world-class subscription product. The position will report to the magazines Editor in Chief & work closely with senior editorial leadership, the consumer revenue team, as well as product & analytics. The successful candidate will be both entrepreneurial & strategic, visionary & collaborative, a strong journalist with a passion for analytics.
The Editorial Director, Audience will work across the entire suite of New York Magazine titles & across all platforms (print, digital, audio, social), & so will be expected to have superb news judgement, an ability to work collaboratively with senior editorial leadership, & a deep understanding of the magazines tone & sensibility. They will manage the magazines Platforms Director & oversee social strategy; increase the strength of New York Magazines newsletter programs; create & package content around special events; manage an editorial calendar with the subscription marketing & product teams to properly showcase our most important editorial moments; mine the archives to demonstrate the depth & richness of New York Magazines content; & invent new ways of connecting to & exciting readers to turn them into loyal subscribers as well as to keep existing subscribers continuously engaged.
The Editorial Director, Audience will:
- Work with network heads across verticals to generate content ideas & coverage areas that can connect with readers regularly to drive engagement, convert readers to paying subscribers & retain existing subscribers
- Manage a team that includes social media & platform editors focused on building New York Magazines audience.
- Keep the editorial staff informed of (and guided towards) primary metrics that drive subscription growth & retention
- Focus on building user engagement (return visits, cross-network discovery, newsletter signup) both on & off-platform.
- Closely track subscriber KPIs & analytics to help make informed recommendations about where to commit editorial resources.
- Manage our newsletter portfolio editorially, working with various editorial teams as well as the marketing team to grow the audience for current titles & search for opportunities to launch new ones.
- Oversee & evolve strategy around programming on the nymag.com homepage.
- Serve as editorial voice in reviewing marketing campaign messaging & tone to match sensibilities across acquisition, engagement & retention campaigns on all promotional platforms, including newsletters, digital ads, social campaigns & more
- Lead the editorial team's collaboration with our subscriptions marketing & product teams as we roll out new features & promotional campaigns for subscribers
- Partner with product & marketing as they roll out new initiatives & communicate with new & existing subscribers
- Bring our journalism background into promotional campaigns, highlighting value of paying for quality coverage to fans & followers
- Mine the archives to resurface classic New York stories that tell brand story collaborating with business development & legal teams
- Serve are the editorial lead for subscriber event series; choosing editorial talent & topic areas
- Experience in an editorial leadership role (a must); management experience; fluency in digital storytelling (a plus).
- An entrepreneurial spirit matched with a rigorous commitment to journalistic excellence.
- A nuanced understanding of audience data & analytics & a track record of using data to make informed decisions on content & promotion strategy
- Strong reader orientation with an ability to identify audience preferences that present opportunities that fit within New York Magazines editorial sensibility.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.