SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. MECHANICAL ENGINEER (STARLINK TOOLING)
As a member of the Starlink Tooling & Automation & Controls Engineering team you will work with a team of elite engineers to design, build & activate custom tools critical to the production of the Starlink satellite constellation. You will personally own high impact projects & drive them from concept to completion on a time scale measured in months, not years.
- Create the factory of the future for high volume, highly automated satellite production
- Constantly raise the bar for industrial automation contributing to an unstoppable team
- Get hands-on & build the things you design
- Design & develop structures, mechanisms & automation equipment to enable high volume production of Starlink satellites
- Demonstrate extreme ownership of projects through their entire lifecycle, from initial concept generation through fabrication & production bring-up
- Balance simultaneous projects of varying scope & complexity in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborate with flight design teams to develop the satellite, factory & production processes in parallel & ensure production success
- Solve complex, open-ended problems with an emphasis on speed of execution & efficiency
- Hone your organizational skills as you coordinate with internal SpaceX resources & external vendors & maintain a project schedule & budget
- Assemble & commission the equipment you design
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 5+ years of work experience or experience with mechanical-related projects
- Experience with structural analysis
- Experience designing mechanical systems using 3D CAD software & 2D drawings
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience applying common manufacturing & machining processes where it applies to design (such as welding, machining, assembly, inspection, etc.)
- Experience with custom machine design; electromechanical systems, motors, actuators, linear rails, bearings, lifting/rigging, etc.
- Experience sizing basic mechanical components & structures
- Familiarity with drafting standards & the application of GD&T
- Solid understanding of common manufacturing processes & machines including mills, lathes, manual & CNC, & hands-on machining experience
- Experience with Siemens NX & Teamcenter CAD/PDM systems
- Experience with FEA & structures hand calculations
- Must be available to work extended hours & weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.