Sr. Director of Tax
The Sr. Director of Tax is responsible for Sumo Logics tax compliance, planning, & accounting for income taxes & reports to the VP, Corporate Controller. The ideal candidate will have the ability to be a big-picture, strategic thinker with the willingness to roll-up their sleeves & execute. They will work with business partners, service providers & other tax professionals to carry out their responsibilities. It is essential that the successful candidate has strong communication & leadership skills, a well-rounded tax background, hands-on accounting experience & a desire to problem solve in a non-routine dynamic environment.
- Oversee all global direct & indirect taxes, including income, sales & use, property, & consumption-based taxes. Including actively monitoring US, state, & international tax legislative & judicial actions, analyze potential impacts/benefits, & implement mitigation or action plans for the Company
- Manage 3rd party tax advisors & assist in the review & data preparation of federal & state income tax returns
- Manage 3rd party tax advisors & assist in the review of foreign income tax & VAT returns, as well as statutory reporting
- Review of tax provision calculations, related financial statement disclosures, consolidated federal, state, & local income tax returns as prepared by outside advisors
- Manage all indirect taxes, including accounting, reconciliations, & related reporting
- Draft memorandum documenting tax issues & positions
- Be a strategic business partner, advising & supporting domestic & international business teams in tax related issues, policies, & procedures
- Develop, implement, & maintain global indirect tax policies, procedures, & internal controls
- Assist with implementation of tax planning opportunities, drive process efficiencies, quality improvements, & risk minimization strategies related to foreign operations
- Manage transfer pricing planning, implementation, & documentation, including maintenance of cost sharing structures
- Assist with resolution of tax issues related to audits & mergers & acquisitions
- Provide guidance on proposed & enacted tax legislation, keeping abreast of tax law changes in the US & foreign jurisdictions to manage risk & identify potential planning opportunities
- Collaborate with Treasury to design & implement tax efficient cash utilization across the global organization
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Masters in Taxation / active CPA
- 12+ years of combined experience in Big 4 and/or a US multinational company
- Deep technical experience in areas including domestic & international tax, transfer pricing & foreign indirect taxes
- Software/technology SaaS industry experience required
- Strong project management, written & oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, & a proven ability to work in a fast-paced & deadline driven environment.
- Ability to think strategically & act operationally; ability to manage ambiguity, risk, & changing direction of projects & strategies
- NetSuite & Avalara experience preferred
- Self-motivated individual with the ability to problem solve & work independently with a minimum level of supervision
Sumo Logic (NASDAQ: SUMO) empowers the people who power modern, digital business. Through its SaaS analytics platform, Sumo Logic enables customers to deliver reliable & secure cloud-native applications. The Sumo Logic Continuous Intelligence Platform helps practitioners & developers ensure application reliability, secure & protect against modern security threats, & gain insights into their cloud infrastructures. Customers around the world rely on Sumo Logic to get powerful real-time analytics & insights across observability & security solutions for their cloud-native applications. For more information, visit www.sumologic.com.