Hachette Book Group offers paid summer internships to students & recent graduates interested in a career in book publishing. Our summer internship program, which runs from June 3rd – August 9th & allows interns to work 28 hours per week, offers students an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry & explore an area of interest.
As a Sales Intern, you will have the opportunity to work closely with seasoned professionals & gain hands-on professional experience as you own day-to-day tasks, help with special projects, & attend departmental meetings. Interns will be placed within specific sales departments such as Client Services & Analytics, International-Special Sales & Canada, Retail, & Digital based on interest, experience, & academic coursework.
To enhance your work experience, we offer educational sessions featuring speakers from all departments of the company as well as networking & career development opportunities.
Who you are:
• A rising junior or senior, graduate student, or recent graduate interested in exploring a career in book publishing
• Self-starter with strong interpersonal, verbal, & written communication skills
• Enthusiastic & excited about discussing recent books you’ve read
• Possess a great attitude & a desire to learn as well as excellent organizational skills
• Ability to work collaboratively with a team & contribute insights
• Resourceful with the ability to balance multiple responsibilities & work independently
• Must be results driven, & take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed
• Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Possible responsibilities include:
• Working with digital assets in content management system
• Pubtracker title information entry & update
• Processing weekly reports
• Assist in publicity research & writing pitch letters
• Assist in preparing materials & presentations for sell-in
• Processing Co-op agreements & asset in Co-op record keeping
• Working with analysts on ad hoc & weekly reports
• Researching & compiling industry trends.
• Assist in creating marketing materials such as monthly account newsletters & themed blasts
• Oversee galley mailings & collect digital galley information as well as to add information to Apple Best of the month nominations
• Prepare Apple Promo Grid as well as sneak peek highlights for Apple
• Updating contact lists from Library Shows (ALAs, PLAs, TLA, Buzz Panels) & Academic shows
• Assist senior copywriter with projects, monthly bookings & BOBS, print adds, brochures, & in store promotions
• Reading manuscripts/galleys & writing descriptions/promotional pieces
• Proofreading projects in concert with copy group—checking prices, ISBNS, etc.
• Assist in design sell sheets, promotional materials like shelf talkers, ads, & promotional brochures
How to apply:
In order to be considered, all candidates must submit both a resume & cover letter. Please note that you are responsible for your own housing during the duration of the internship.