Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands & grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, & analytics tools.
We are seeking an attorney to join the Mailchimp legal team. As a member of the team, you will provide advice to senior management at Mailchimp, manage important internal & external relationships, & have an opportunity to influence legal & business strategies.
Unlike legal positions at many other companies, this position wont be limited to a single practice area. Our attorneys work closely with our product, marketing, engineering, communications, customer support, & client relations teams, & are required to assist in a wide range of subject matters. This position requires using a combination of business IQ, technical knowledge, & legal skills, so an aptitude for business is required, & overall business acumen will be further developed on the job.
Our ideal candidate began their career at a law firm, is looking for their first or second in-house counsel position, & has a background in advertising & intellectual property law with demonstrated litigation experience. Experience with legal issues related to brand protection, such as advertising or trademark law, is required. Experience or knowledge in data privacy & data security fundamentals & familiarity with software or technology transactions is a plus. Superior analytical skills & a teamwork-driven attitude are of paramount importance.
- Provide advice & support directly to business leads & technical specialists on a range of legal & business issues, including issues related to advertising, intellectual property, technology law, & international law.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with marketing, product, communications & other stakeholders on multi-disciplinary issues.
- Support marketing & promotional initiatives, including counseling internal teams on international issues, marketing compliance, & contest, sweepstakes, & giveaways requirements.
- Assist with the management of global trademark portfolio & direct outside counsel in execution of portfolio & enforcement strategies.
- Develop & maintain a repository of resources, standards, & disclosures for internal marketing teams, such as best practices, guidelines, & other required disclosures.
- Contribute to the continuous development & improvement of brand protection strategies & processes.
- Support compliance efforts with respect to U.S. & international laws & regulations related to intellectual property, privacy, content regulation, advertising & consumer protection.
- Coordinate with outside counsel in domestic & international markets on marketing, product, & other technology initiatives.
- Other responsibilities include assisting in transactions & regulatory matters, counseling internal team members on legal & business matters, & drafting commercial agreements.
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- 2-5 years of legal experience at a law firm, including 2+ years of litigation legal experience at a private practice law firm
- Demonstrably strong technical aptitude & business acumen
- Very strong interpersonal & communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people, collaborate with diverse business groups, & build interdepartmental relationships at all levels
- Excellent writing & document drafting skills
- Strong strategic thinking & analytical skills & judgment
- Team-oriented attitude & ability to balance multiple tasks & priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Relevant legal knowledge or experience with advertising law (claim substantiation, false advertising, etc.) & intellectual property (including trade secret, trademark, & copyright law) matters is required
- Demonstrated capacity to keep current on emerging business & legal trends in the marketing, technology, & privacy industries
- Technological experience with software, cloud computing, SaaS, or digital technologies (e.g., digital advertising, social media, mobile apps) is preferred
Mailchimp is a founder-owned & highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, & our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees & their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, & ambitious people, & give them endless opportunities to grow & succeed.
We love our hometown & support sustainable urban renewal. Our headquarters is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, & we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.