Squarespace is looking for passionate backend engineers to build the services powering our highly interactive web & mobile applications.
The mission of the Brand team is to empower our customers to build, grow, & express their brand, helping them stay consistent at every step of the journey. We help our customers stand out because we understand that a customers brand needs more than logos, fonts, & colors they also need the building blocks we provide that enable them to easily express their story beautifully & in engaging ways. You will report to the Product Engineering Team Lead out of our New York City headquarters.
We firmly believe that design is not merely how it looks but how it works. With this in mind, our backend engineers work on Product Engineering teams, which are dedicated to creating the most seamless, integrated products possible. The solutions created by this team will span the entire existing Squarespace product ecosystem, as well as create compelling new products for our customers. If you are a server side engineer who enjoys taking ownership of product initiatives & carrying them from concept to production, we want to hear from you!
- Write server-side code, create high-volume production applications, & develop prototypes quickly.
- Develop new features into the Squarespace platform, building backend services with Java
- Collaborate with other engineers & designers to provide strong customer-focused experiences.
- Ensure the reliability of systems essential to Squarespace users & businesses powered by Squarespace.
- Practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, & writing beautiful, readable code).
- Actively contribute to team & company standards.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Development experience in Java, Python, Go or another Object-oriented language. Experience developing large-scale software is preferred.
- An understanding of, & practical experience with, web application development.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, & software design practices.
- A sincere commitment to crafting readable code.
- Understanding of database schema design, caching & scalability.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related or equivalent industry experience.
- 5+ years of experience
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design & sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people from individuals & local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world's most iconic businesses to share their stories with the world. Squarespace's team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Los Angeles & Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you & your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of parental leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility & adoption benefits
- Free lunch & snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Squarespace sends engineers to speak at & attend the most relevant & impactful conferences throughout the year
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Gender Affirmation Surgery
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) & pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives & experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace & celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.