CommonBond is the award-winning fintech company where people come first. Our approach is no big secret: lower rates, simpler options, & a world-class experience to support people throughout their student loan journey. Plus, every time we fund a degree we also pay for a childs education through our Social Promise. Since our launch in 2012, weve funded over $4 billion in student loans & weve helped our members save over $1 billion.
We are seeking a Principal Engineer to make significant contributions to our applications & technical strategy. This role requires knowledge & experience in all aspects of cloud technology including system architecture, application development, container platforms, modern data services, security, monitoring & cost management.
- Collaborate with other professionals to determine functional & non-functional requirements for new software or applications
- Use tools & methodologies to create representations for functions & user interface of desired product
- Develop high-level product specifications with attention to system integration & feasibility
- Define all aspects of development from appropriate technology & workflow to coding standards
- Oversee progress of development team to ensure consistency with initial design
- Provide technical guidance & coaching to developers & engineers. Ensure software meets all requirements of quality, security, modifiability, extensibility etc
- Participate in all Scrum sessions planning, grooming, reviews & retrospectives
- Work with product management & stakeholders to define a product backlog
- Work with your team do develop a committed sprint backlog
- Contribute to the technical & process innovation of the Engineering department
- Collaborate with other development teams & cross functional groups
- Lead an Agile team of 3-6 developers, designers, Tech Lead and product managers who form a product development team
- Contribute to effective code reviews on more than just the technical correctness of the code (quality, eng best practices, etc.)
- Coach & mentor team members to accentuate their strengths
What youll be working with:
- Testing stack information: Cucumber, Kotlin, Java, Selenium, Jenkins,Saucelabs
- More stack information:https://stackshare.io/companies/commonbond
- A team of passionate, curious, & innovative professionals
What youll bring
- Overall 8+ years of experience with:
- 6+ years hands-on experience in object-oriented design & development with exposure to working with databases
- 2+ years hands-on experience in architecting, building & maintaining scalable, performant, secure platforms
- Continuously raise our standard of engineering excellence by implementing & driving best practices for coding, testing, & deployment
- You have a deep understanding of data structures, algorithms & object-oriented design, & have used them to solve real-world problems
- Articulate the trade-offs, benefits & risks of all architecture & design solutions
- Execute the hands-on implementation of proposed solutions & provide technical guidance to teams during the solutions' development & deployment phases
- Ability to work independently as well as function as an integral part of a team, take initiative & contribute in a fast-paced environment along with the ability to do quick prototypes
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills to collaborate with stakeholders, business users, & executives, & the ability to communicate technical solutions in business terms.
- Able to balance multiple projects concurrently & manage changes in scope along the way
- Significant experience with SOA/microservices & event-driven architectures
- An interest in using the best tool for the job. Our current favorites are React, Go, Nats, Postgres.
- Experience with highly scalable, containerized, micro service architecture required (kubernetes a plus!)
- Hands-on experience with cloud tools, services & technologies (preferably AWS)
- Solid working knowledge of Agile CI/CD tools & practices (build/release, Git, pipelines, scripting etc)
- Working knowledge of Quality Assurance automation frameworks & tools, & agile testing best practices (e.g TDD)
- Facilitate technical discussions across teams & organizations
Our Engineering values:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the software we build has real-world consequences & take that responsibility seriously.
- We know that code isnt just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, & respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt & rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, & organization.
You can work in our New York City HQ; or remotely from anywhere in the US (EST working hours). Due to the on-going pandemic of COVID-19, if you choose to work from our NYC HQ, it is likely that youll start working remotely.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.