About the right team member:
You love design & are passionate about building intuitive, delightful user experiences. You know that product experiences exist across platforms, & you approach problems holistically. Youre frustrated with financial products & believe that customers deserve better. Youre self-motivated, learning new skills quickly, with a sense for what youll develop next. You want to have a direct impact on the growth of the largest independent online financial advisor.
At Betterment we hire designers with a deep foundation in design & user experience principlesfolks who are talented & eager to both learn from their colleagues & help make them better. As a design team, we're focused & always strive for excellence. And as a company, we're committed to being the only financial partner that you can be sure is continuously working to maximize your money.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Contribute directly to projects that help us improve our customers financial lives
- Contribute to product strategy by identifying new opportunities, generating innovative solutions, crafting emotionally engaging designs, & improving existing features
- Partner with product management, engineering & many others, working closely in cross-disciplinary teams
- Be responsible for all aspects of design for your projects from inception through launch
- Make informed design decisions based on competitor analysis, customer feedback, site metrics & usability reports
- Further develop your design chops, working among a talented team of designers, providing one another feedback & perspective, aiming for a cohesive experience across all touchpoints
- Establish & maintain design principles & patterns to be used across all channels & experiences
- Add depth & polish to our recently updated brand
You will be effective if you have:
- 3+ years experience as a product designer
- A portfolio of extraordinary product design work
- An iterative, customer-centric approach to designing experiences
- Excellent communication skills, both written & spoken
- Experience with & appreciation for user research & usability testing
- The ability to execute your designs using HTML & CSS
- Shipped great products to real people
- Cross-platform experience (mobile & desktop web, android, iOS & email)
- Strategic product thinking & vision
Bonus points if you have:
- Read Robert Bringhursts The Elements of Typographic Style
- Youre familiar with Brad Frosts work
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $15 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers long-term returns & lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, & other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies & uses technology to deliver them to more than 380,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, & Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws.We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.