About This Position
Were looking for a passionate, motivated Intern to work with our Compliance team to assist on a broad range of Compliance & Regulatory initiatives aimed at maintaining an effective investment advisory compliance program. With a focus on developing the skills needed to be successful as a Compliance Officer, the Compliance Intern will contribute to education & practical application of our obligations under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 across the organization.
- Work closely with our Compliance Team on various ongoing initiatives
- Work to understand issues identified, related rules & requirements set forth in SEC Risk Alerts & how it applies to our business
- Provide assistance with testing our business practices & collaborate with various business units to collect data for testing
- Assist each business unit in further streamlining their record keeping requirements under the SECs Books & Records Rule.
- Review our policies & procedures & draft changes & updates as needed.
- Complete ad hoc Compliance projects & tasks
- Completed at least two years of law study at an accredited law school. Coursework in Federal Securities Regulation or Financial Services Law & Compliance is a plus.
- Strong critical thinking skills & the ability to write & speak effectively with various teams.
- A strong desire to learn, both with guidance & independently
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment with a diverse team
- Passion for our women-oriented mission
Ellevest is a transformative technology company created to help women achieve their financial potential. Ellevest helps women take control of their financial futures through investing, with a beautifully designed digital platform backed by an incredibly smart algorithm. Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck, chair of the Ellevate Network, previously CEO of Smith Barney & Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, formerly CFO of Citi, & author of Own It: The Power of Women at Work.Ellevest has raised $70MM from investors like Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, & Venus Williams.
Ellevest has flipped the traditional approach to investing with a real-life, goal-based approach. Clients select personal financial goals such as buying a home, starting a business, raising a family, & retiring well, among others. Ellevest is unique in taking into account a womans longer lifespan & different salary curve, combined with her current financial picture, to construct highly customized investment portfolios for each of her goals. Ellevests unique algorithms are designed to get the client to her goal number or better in 70% of market scenarios, higher than traditional financial advisors.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest is a leading tech company in New York City, with a thriving team across our engineering, product, marketing, client experience, investments, & operations organizations. We place a major emphasis on building a team & working environment where individuals can succeed professionally & personally. As a team member at Ellevest, you can expect to make a difference through your work, to have a direct impact on the achievement of a very meaningful mission, to significantly advance your career trajectory, & to have room for fun & fulfillment in your daily life. We know that achieving a mission as critical as ours requires incredible talent & teamwork, & team is the most important thing to us.
In 2018, Ellevest was awarded the #14 spot on LinkedIns list of most sought-after startups, as well as a spot on CNBCs Disruptor 50 list -- identifying start-ups on the cutting edge of huge consumer, tech & business shifts. In 2017, Ellevest was named one of Entrepreneur Magazines 100 Brilliant Ideas, & CNBC listed Ellevest as one of their Top 25 Most Promising Startups on a path to becoming tomorrows household names. We were also named one of Entrepreneur Magazines 100 Brilliant Ideas. We are working every day to make this a reality, & create a brand & a service that closes the female money gap.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the three questions at the bottom of this application.