Gimlet, supported by its parent company, Spotify, tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically acclaimed shows like Reply All, Heavyweight, & Science Vs. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, & kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to make amazing things, & a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, & supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, & who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
Science Vs is the show that pits facts against fads. We explore the evidence behind popular trends & ideas - like Fasting Diets, 5G, Vaping & Gentrification - & make a lot of terrible puns along the way. We take facts seriously, but not ourselves.
Were looking for a full-time intern (its paid!) who is comfortable reading scientific papers & using the primary literature to research topics. The successful candidate will be able to parse complicated jargon into clear & simple concepts, & assist the team to make sure scripts are factually correct.
What Youll Do
- Fact check scripts - making sure each claim is backed up with evidence
- Research topic areas using scientific papers
- Listen to interviews & select the best tape
- Assemble early versions of episodes in Protools
- Comment on draft scripts & the sound of the show
- Write copy for the web
What You Have
- Science research experience (post grad preferred, but not required).
- Radio experience not necessary. We are happy to teach the successful candidate technical & field recording skills. But, you need to have a passion & interest in radio & science journalism.
This is a full-time, temporary, role, based in our Brooklyn, NY office. This posting will close at 5 PM ET on Wednesday, February 5th, 2020. You must be legally allowed to work in the US to apply.
Please apply with a resume & responses to the following questions
- Tell us about yourself, & why you want this job. No more than 300 words.
- Imagine youre writing a script for Science Vs. Explain Circadian Rhythm in 100 words or less. Add citations showing where you got your information from.
- Fact check & rewrite the following paragraph so its correct. It is based on this study
Psilocybin with psychological support for treatment-resistant depression: six-month follow-up
Can taking psychedelics help us fight depression? To find out, a team of US researchers gave 26 people with depression psilocybin. When they checked 3 months later, they found the people who got psilocybin were less depressed than those who didnt get the drug. Unfortunately, the effect was short lived. At 6 months, the patients who got psilocybin were just as likely to be depressed as those who didnt. Some scientists think psilocybin might treat depression because it latches onto dopamine receptors in the brain, which are thought to be important in depression. This suggests psychedelics like psilocybin might be a good short term treatment for depression.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, & background will lead to a better environment for our employees & a better product for our users & our creators. This is something we value deeply & we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to audio.